Monday, July 4, 2011

Baguio --> Banaue

Arrived at cold Baguio!!!! Did I mention that it was COLD!!! I had my scarf wrapped around my neck, and windbreaker on. Yet, it was still cold. I was practically shivering. I guess it was the fact that it was early in the morning at 5AM. Bon Bon checked out how we could get to the other bus terminal to take the bus to Banaue, while I got us some hot coffee (without sugar & cream). LOL. They scolded me for not adding sugar and cream, but I thought they liked it strong because I drink it without cream & sugar!

We had to walk to the other bus terminal, about 15 minutes walk from Victory Liner bus termainal. I’m not too sure about the name of the other bus terminal, but its just beside a Chow King outlet and a petrol station. The first bus out was at 9AM, and the ticket booth wasn’t even open yet at 7+AM. So we took a breakfast break at Chow King, while waiting for the ticket booth to open.


Baguio Tourism Centre & Park

View from outside Chow King

We found a few small 12-seater van parked in front of Chow King. They would usually be there everyday, to drive passengers from Baguio to Banaue. They were charging the same price (330Peso or $10SGD) as the Florida Trans bus. So we decided to go with the private van. We left Baguio at about 8AM with a van full of about 12 passengers. The driver was GOOD at driving.... It felt like a roller coaster ride! We started the drive up the mountains of Baguio, and I could feel the cold & refreshing wind! It reminded me of Canada all over again....

The ride up to Banaue took about 5-6 hours. It was a long.... ride. We passed Kayapa, Vizcaya, Solano, Balgabag, Lagawey and finally, Banaue! It was a really nice scenic ride up to Banaue. I was pretty amazed to be see the surrounding view.


We arrived at Banaue after what seemed like a ride that lasted forever. A local lady in the same car as us was very helpful in directing us to our homestay. I found a homestay place (Banaue Homestay) from some blogger recommendations. She got us a tricycle driver to driver us up to Banaue Homestay. Its actually not too far from the town centre, about 5 minutes walk up the hill. I love the place the moment I saw it! It was very airy, clean and it had a fantastic view of the rice terraces from the patio! The propietress, Vie is a nice Filipino lady. Aunty Merla was able to connect with her instantly and started chatting away with her. We chose a room and bargained for 500Peso (SGD$15) a night for 3pax. It was good for me to able to find a local Filipino who could hold a decent conversation with me in English! I really recommend this place to anyone who is visit Banaue. And she cooks really well too, International & Filipino cuisines. The homestay includes an in-house restaurant for visitors to enjoy a good meal at the patio or inside the cosy house. You can contact her at beatrizbandao@rocketmail.com or 09202787328. You can check out their website at http://www.banauehomestay.weebly.com/.


Banaue Homestay Signage
Stairway at Banaue Homestay

Tricycle

Banaue Homestay Room


We took the time in the rest of the afternoon to take a tricycle ride up to Banaue viewpoint at 300peso ($9SGD) for a return trip. We met some local Ifugao natives who offered to take some pictures with us for a nominal donation fee. You will realize this word ‘donation’ will pop up very often in Banaue.
Ifugao Natives


My model for the day!
Banaue is famous for their wooden handicrafts & work. They are really skilled in creating anything and everything out of wood including a manual scooter!

Spot the wooden scooter
 I had to take this picture of the rooster... It looks so surreal and regal with the background of the grand rice terraces!

Rooster standing tall and proud




No comments:

Post a Comment